Monday, July 26, 2010

Bubby 1: Mommy 0

By now I'm sure you're all wondering how the Bedtime Wars are going. I wanted to come back and post a victory, and we really were so close, but alas I'm no longer sure. Over the last week we've had a pretty even split of no crying and crying nights but its so unpredictable. Here's the score:

Thursday: No Crying
Friday: Complete Melt Down
Saturday: No crying followed by a complete meltdown requiring a car ride to go to sleep
Sunday: No Drama at all
Monday: He figured out that he doesn't have to cry at all.

Thus Bubba 1, Mommy 0.

Because he's not quite 2 years old, and because I prefer even mangled English to ear piercing screams and kicking, I always and without fail respond to "Momma Please." I know this is not really a declarative sentence, but if you've ever had a not quite two year old you'd realize that even questions sound declarative and often lack a subject, verb and/or interrogative.

So tonight, Monday Night, Bubba went down without a fuss. Waited 5 or 6 minutes then called out "Momma Please." I, as I always do when he behaves so grown up, went and submitted to his will. 45 minutes later, he's asleep. We sang, we rocked, we lay in my bed, we rocked some more. He dozed, woke up and said random names and words completely out of context, then dozed some more. I tried to put him in his bed, "Momma No Night Night." Ummmm Ok, we rocked some more. Bubba glared up at me, eyes rolling back in his head, before finally passing out completely, dropping the Kermit the Frog and Fozzy Bear he'd been clutching the entire time, and allowed me to lay him in his own bed.

Yup, I'm pretty sure that makes the score Bubba 1 and Mommy zero.

2 comments:

  1. Auw! Isn't is hard sometimes when there is this battle, but he is so sweet in your arms?
    I fight it all the time.
    But, I started giving him the two time warning: two more songs and then I am putting him in his crib. I let him pick out the 2 songs. Then I tell him we are going into his crib and I won't come back into until 6am. I tuck him in and head straight out.
    It really stunk the first few nights, broke my heart. Now he goes down really well, and we have drama free cuddles before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachelle, Yes! It is hard. I just don't know how to talk him into it. He has always gone to bed without a fuss so this is new.

    ReplyDelete